updated October 12, 2015
Professional Development Short Courses
Learn the latest techniques and technologies in your field - helping you move ahead!
- Prepare for licensure exams and/or earn continuing education units (ceu's) to maintain licensure.
UD's Professional Engineering Outreach short courses, designed to meet industry-identified
needs, have established a well-deserved reputation for excellence. If you don't see what you are seeking, contact Kathy Werrell with your needs/suggestions!
- "Big Data" in Railroad Maintenance Planning 2015- A one-day mini-conference that builds on last year's hugely successful mini-conference that introduced new and emerging data analysis techniques for specific needs of the railroad industry. Places will go quickly for this free opportunity, so save your place today.
- Rail Problems, Rail Maintenance, and Rail Grinding -
This highly-praised course was first offered in October 2012 and is now available on-line as a self-paced on-line course!
- Railroad Safety and Derailment Investigation - Let us know your interest in this ON-LINE FORMATTED professional development course. Excellent, information-packed practical training for railroad engineers in corporate, DOT, or commodity railroad transportation Group Discount Option (Save $100/reg for groups of 3 or more from the same company!)
- Special on-line railroad and transit training courses taught by Dr. Allan M. Zarembski, P.E., FASME, and produced in collaboration with the Railway Tie Association (RTA). These modules are packed full of critical information for those working in the railroad industry, and have been produced so that you can absorb the information at your own pace. Earn PDHs for completion of each module, as indicated in the course descriptions. (Special pricing for RTA members. Upon receipt of your RTA Course Registration Form, RTA will verify that your membership is up-to-date so that you can take advantage of the special reduced fee for RTA members.)
- Railroad Crossties: Engineering & Design Issues
- Timber Crosstie Degradation & Failure Modes
- Railroad Load Environment and the Engineering of Crossties
- Intro to the Function of Railroad Crossties for Non-railroad Professionals
- Intro to Railroad & Transit Systems for Non-railroad Professionals - Part 1 & Part 2
- Note: Additional courses are being designed for various aspects of railroad engineering! Keep checking back to this listing ... and ... in the meantime, check out this Here & Now interview of Allan Zarembski regarding railroad grade crossings and this interview of Allan Zarembski about "Safety on our freight and commuter railroad tracks" that took place on NPR radio on 3/18/15.
|I thought I’d just say how much I enjoyed the class. I found it very informative and to be at just the right level – not too basic / not over my head. I actually came away feeling that this is something I wish I had learned 10 years ago. For example, if this had been presented every two years or so (during times when we were hiring every year) it would have been good to learn it right away and then see it again two years later and be able to ask far more intelligent and insightful questions having been working in the industry for those two years.
Clifford S. Bonaventura, Harsco Rail - a participant in the October'12
Rail Problems, Rail Maintenance and Rail Grinding short course at UD
- Earth Retaining Structures - November 10-12, 2015, a 3-day course to be taught by Jim Collin. Save the dates. Stay tuned for more details!
Research & Quality Control:
- Great Opportunity! Fundamentals of Vapor Deposition - a Distance-formatted, Self-paced Tutorial - (co-sponsored by the Society of Vacuum Coaters, and dedicated to the memory of Nathaniel H. Sugerman). November 30-December 11, 2015. (Enrollment is limited to facilitate highly interactive participation.) Group Discount Option (Save $50/reg for groups of 5 or more from the same company!) Registration is due by Monday, November 16, 2015.
- Statistical Design of Experiments - Recorded when taught on-campus, this 2.5-day hands-on course always receives great reviews - and now it is available in self-paced on-line format on-line! Group Discount Option (Save $200/reg for groups of 3 or more from the same company!) Let us know your interest. (See the course web page for more details.)
- Self-paced on-line course: Control Charting for Statistical Process Control - Let us know your interest in this ON-LINE FORMATTED professional development course.- This interactive, hands-on, distance version of the highly acclaimed on-campus course debuted in April 2013 with rave reviews. (Enrollment is limited to facilitate interactive participation.) Group Discount Option (Save $100/reg for groups of 3 or more from the same company!)
True to your comments ... [Dr. Ogunnaike's] teaching style was outstanding especially when he uses his 13 years industry experience to bring relevance to the course material.
Gerhard R. Wittreich, P.E.
- Professional Engineer (PE) Review Courses - on-campus and distance formats!
What specific topics are you
hoping to learn through a short course? New professional development opportunities are being designed regularly - so check this page frequently for updates!
Let us know your educational needs and we will work with you to address them!
More educational and collaborative opportunities are available through the University's engineering research centers.
- CACR - Center for Applied Coastal Research
- CCM - Center for Composite Materials
- CCST - Center for Catalytic Science & Technology
- CMET - Center for Molecular & Engineering Thermodynamics
- CIBE - Center for Innovative Bridge Engineering
- CBCB - Center for Bioinformatics & Computational Biology
- CBER - Center for Biomechanical Engineering Research
- DCT - Delaware Center for Transportation
- Center for Study of Metals in the Environment
Other websites of interest:
- Geokon, Incorporated - Manufacturer of high-quality geotechnical instrumentation
- Geosynthetica.net- Excellent resource for geotechnical engineers.
- Hanes Geo Components - A division of Leggett & Platt, Hanes Geo is a supplier of performance products for the construction, landscape, erosion control, and turf industries.
For more information, contact EO Director Kathleen Werrell at (302) 831-4863 or by e-mail.