updated March 18, 2015
Professional Development Short Courses
Learn the latest techniques and technologies in your field - helping you move ahead!
Prepare for licensure exams and/or earn continuing education units (ceu's) to maintain licensure.
UD's Professional Engineering Outreach short courses, designed to meet industry-identified needs, have established a well-deserved reputation for excellence. If you don't see what you are seeking, contact Kathy Werrell with your needs/suggestions!
- Rail Problems, Rail Maintenance, and Rail Grinding - LIVE IN NEWARK, DE - April 22 & 23, 2015.
This highly-praised course was first offered in October 2012 and is also available on-line as a self-paced on-line course!
- Railroad Safety and Derailment Investigation - Let us know your interest in this ON-LINE FORMATTED professional development course. Excellent, information-packed practical training for railroad engineers in corporate, DOT, or commodity railroad transportation Group Discount Option (Save $100/reg for groups of 3 or more from the same company!)
- Note: Additional courses are being designed for various aspects of railroad engineering! Keep checking back to this listing ... and ... in the meantime, check out this Here & Now interview of Allan Zarembski regarding railroad grade crossings and this interview of Allan Zarembski about "Safety on our freight and commuter railroad tracks" that took place on NPR radio on 3/18/15.
- Soil Slopes & Embankment Design - April 27 & 28, 2015, taught by Dov Leshchinsky & Jim Collin.
Research & Quality Control:
- Great Opportunity! Fundamentals of Vapor Deposition - a Distance-formatted, Self-paced Tutorial - (co-sponsored by the Society of Vacuum Coaters, and dedicated to the memory of Nathaniel H. Sugerman). June 1-12, 2015. (Enrollment is limited to facilitate highly interactive participation.) Group Discount Option (Save $50/reg for groups of 5 or more from the same company!)
- Self-paced on-line course: Control Charting for Statistical Process Control - Let us know your interest in this ON-LINE FORMATTED professional development course.- This interactive, hands-on, distance version of the highly acclaimed on-campus course debuted in April 2013 with rave reviews. (Enrollment is limited to facilitate interactive participation.) Group Discount Option (Save $100/reg for groups of 3 or more from the same company!)
- Statistical Design of Experiments - Postponed - Let us know your interest in this course so that we can re-schedule it to meet industry needs. This hands-on course always receives great reviews! Group Discount Option (Save $100/reg for groups of 3 or more from the same company!) (See the course web page for more details.)
- Professional Engineer (PE) Review Courses - on-campus and distance formats!
What specific topics are you
hoping to learn through a short course? New professional development opportunities are being designed regularly - so check this page frequently for updates! Comments like these are not at all uncommon from those who participate:
|I thought I’d just say how much I enjoyed the class. I found it very informative and to be at just the right level – not too basic / not over my head. I actually came away feeling that this is something I wish I had learned 10 years ago. For example, if this had been presented every two years or so (during times when we were hiring every year) it would have been good to learn it right away and then see it again two years later and be able to ask far more intelligent and insightful questions having been working in the industry for those two years.
Clifford S. Bonaventura, Harsco Rail - a participant in the October'12
Rail Problems, Rail Maintenance and Rail Grinding short course at UD
Let us know your educational needs and we will work with you to address them!
More educational and collaborative opportunities are available through the University's engineering research centers.
- CACR - Center for Applied Coastal Research
- CCM - Center for Composite Materials
- CCST - Center for Catalytic Science & Technology
- CMET - Center for Molecular & Engineering Thermodynamics
- CIBE - Center for Innovative Bridge Engineering
- CBCB - Center for Bioinformatics & Computational Biology
- CBER - Center for Biomechanical Engineering Research
- DCT - Delaware Center for Transportation
- Center for Study of Metals in the Environment
Other websites of interest:
- Geokon, Incorporated - Manufacturer of high-quality geotechnical instrumentation
- Geosynthetica.net- Excellent resource for geotechnical engineers - and a sponsor of GeoAmericas 2016, for which the Call for Abstracts is open until March 31, 2015!
- Hanes Geo Components - A division of Leggett & Platt, Hanes Geo is a supplier of performance products for the construction, landscape, erosion control, and turf industries.
For more information, contact EO Director Kathleen Werrell at (302) 831-4863 or by e-mail.