Facilities Use and Occupancy Expectations
The College of Engineering has responsibility for over 290K sq feet of facilities ranging from offices to state of the art laboratories. The vast majority of this space is owned by the University and provided to the College for stewardship and use. The allocation of space is monitored using several metrics and is tracked for specific use at the University level for use in the Facilities & Administrative (F&A) costs calculation. Space is paid for through the College RBB algorithms when centrally provided and occasionally through external leases. Additional space is costly and it is the College's obligation to optimize space use as it does all resources.
College of Engineering space is managed at the college level by the College Manager of Facilities and more locally through the efforts of the department lab managers and safety staff. A College Space Planning and Optimization Committee (SPOC) has been formed to oversee facilities use and allocation within the College.
Planning cycle and process
The College of Engineering's SPOC will require the use of a Space Allocation Form to request New Space, Renovations or Occupancy Changes. In addition to using the Space Allocation Form for occupancy changes, the College of Engineering will also conduct semi-annual space surveys that will be used to validate and confirm all space changes that are made during the year. The Space Planning Cycle can be found below:
COE's 1st Semi-Annual Space Survey
- Mid-September: Occupancy data will be provided to the Departments for validation. Any changes that need to be made must be completed using the Space Allocation Form.
- Early-October: The Department must have all space validation and changes completed.
- Mid-October: The College of Engineering's SPOC will update the College's Master Space File which will then be locked for the FY's 1st Semi-Annual Space Survey.
COE's 2nd Semi-Annual Space Survey
- Mid-February: Occupancy data will be provided to the Departments for validation. Any changes that need to be made must be completed using the Space Allocation Form.
- Early-March: The Department must have all space validation and changes completed.
- Mid-March: The College of Engineering's SPOC will update the College's Master Space File which will then be locked for the FY's 2nd Semi-Annual Space Survey.
Note: The evaluation of all Space Allocation Forms that are submitted throughout the FY will be an ongoing process for the SPOC.