Student Machine Shop
The mission of the student machine shop is to support educational programs at the University of Delaware by providing a safe and well supervised facility for students to have the opportunity for hands-on fabrication and manufacturing experience. Programs currently supported by the shop include but are not limited to Undergraduate and Graduate Curriculums, Honors Programs, Student Research, and Student Clubs. The prioritized list of users and activities in the shop includes:
- Assignments for regularly scheduled classes that have been coordinated with the Shop Supervisor
- Independent study or undergraduate research projects taken for credit
- Student club activities*
- Undergraduates and Graduate Students working with a faculty member on a teaching or research project*
- Faculty and other university employees*
* These users are charged $10/hr for machine usage
Hours of Operation:
The shop is generally open daily Monday through Friday from 8a to noon, and 1p to 5p. At certain times, those hours may differ or the shop may be closed. Please refer to the Online Shop Calendar or to the notices posted outside the shop door at 104 Spencer Lab.
General Operating Policy:
The policy of the Student Shop will be to accept projects with an appropriate scope as determined by the Shop Supervisor. Project scope will be evaluated in terms of complexity, supervision time, and time to complete the project. Individuals with projects determined to be beyond the scope of the Student Shop will be referred to the Colburn Machine Shop.
Shop Use Policy:
All undergraduate and graduate students enrolled at the University of Delaware are eligible to work in the shop. All shop users must complete the following:
- Attend the Basic Shop Safety Demo conducted by the Shop Supervisor
- Review the Shop Operating Procedures
- Complete the Basic Shop Safety Quiz with a grade of 100%
Contact the shop supervisor to sign up for a Basic Shop Safety Demo. A detailed outline of the operating procedures is provided at the link on the left.
Any questions should be directed to the Shop Supervisor, Steve Beard.