Summer Residential Program
- To increase the effective participation of African American, Hispanic/Latino, and Native American youth in engineering and other science professions.
- To provide accelerated academic enrichment instruction in mathematics, science, English and engineering related material.
- To provide an intense and demanding academic setting resembling a college engineering curriculum.
- To simulate a college/campus life experience for students.
- To provide professional/personal development workshops, assistance in college selection and information on the engineering and science professions.
- Students selected to participate in the program must express an interest in engineering, mathematics and/or the applied sciences.
- Students must be enrolled in a college preparatory curriculum receiving grades of "B" or better especially in mathematics, science and English courses.
- Students must submit a copy of their high school transcript and a copy of their most recent grade report card.
- Students must submit a one page essay or statement on why they desire to come to the program.
- Students must submit a letter from their present high school math instructor, describing the student's current math abilities, strengths and weaknesses.
- Students must also submit, if taken, their PSAT scores.
- Students are expected to attend all 4 weeks of the program.
2013 Program Dates: June 23, 2013 to July 19, 2013
* subject to change if necessary
Duration: Four Weeks (home on weekends and holidays)
Enrollment: 25 students
Application Deadline: Friday, April 5, 2013
- Rising 11th Grade – Algebra II or Precalculus, Chemistry, English and Chemistry Technology
- Rising 12th Grade – Precalculus or Calculus, Physics, English and Engineering Design
The structured nature of the curriculum of this program does not provide for cross curriculum offerings for individual students. All students must take the courses indicated for their grade. For example: Under no circumstances will a rising 11th grader take Physics or Calculus.